A motorist today died today after his car caught fire on a petrol station forecourt, police said.
Firefighters said the "flash" fire had been contained inside the car and no-one else was hurt.
Police said fire was thought to have broken out shortly after the man had bought fuel and climbed into the car at a Shell garage in Guyhirn, Cambridgeshire.
"It obviously could have been much worse," said a police spokeswoman. "It seems that the fire didn't spread at all and the garage was able to reopen."
A fire service spokeswoman said there had been no flames and the fire was over by the time crews arrived.
Police, who have yet to name the man, said an investigation was under way.
The spokesman said the man had been trapped in the car and was later declared dead.Reuse content