The police investigation into payments by journalists to public officials has closed, Scotland Yard has said.
Operation Elveden started in June 2011 after allegations of phone hacking emerged during parliamentary committees and the Leveson Inquiry into press ethics and practices.
It has seen the convictions of 34 people - nine police officers and 21 public officials.
On Wednesday, a serving police officer who had been arrested in September 2015 for misconduct in a public office was told that he would face no further action, marking the close of the operation.
Metropolitan Police assistant commissioner Patricia Gallan said those who had been convicted breached the trust of the public by leaking confidential information for "nothing other than financial gain".
She said: "Their actions caused irreparable damage to public confidence and it is right that they faced prosecution.
"These were not whistleblowers, but people working in some of the most trusted positions in the police, prisons and health care, who were only seeking to profit."
News International - a group which included The Sun newspaper - voluntarily supplied documents that revealed payments to police officers and public officials by some journalists which launched the investigation, police said.
Hacking trial: The verdicts in full
Hacking trial: The verdicts in full
1/7 Rebekah Brooks
The former News of the World editor and News International chief executive has been cleared of conspiracy to hack phones; misconduct in public office for allegedly signing off payments to a Sun journalist's 'number one military contact' between 2004 and 2012; conspiracy to pervert the course of justice after seven boxes were allegedly removed from the NI archive just days before 2011 arrests
2/7 Andy Coulson
Former News of the World editor and Downing Street spin doctor guilty of conspiracy to hack phones from 2000 to 2006. The jury failed to reach a majority verdict on charges of conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office by allegedly paying police officers for two royal directories. He could face a retrial.
3/7 Stuart Kuttner
Retired managing editor cleared of involvement in phone-hacking conspiracy spanning six years
4/7 Cheryl Carter
Brooks' former personal assistant, cleared of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice by removing seven boxes from the News International company archive just days before she was arrested in 2011
5/7 Charlie Brooks
Racehorse trainer and Rebekah Brooks' husband, cleared of perverting the course of justice around the time of police searches in July 2011
6/7 Mark Hanna
Former News International director of security, cleared of perverting the course of justice
7/7 Clive Goodman
The former News of the World royal editor, could face a retrial after the jury failed to reach a verdict on charges of committing misconduct in public office for allegedly paying police officers for two royal directories
Ms Gallan added: "Elveden has been one of the most difficult and complex investigations the Met has dealt with.
"Having received from News International what appeared to be evidence that crimes had been committed by police officers, an investigation was inevitable.
"It was right that we followed the evidence where it took us without fear or favour.
"As the police, our responsibility is to investigate crime and present evidence to the CPS for them to consider appropriate charges, and this is what we did."
She said that the decision to arrest journalists for conspiracy to commit misconduct in a public office was "not one taken lightly" and insisted the operation was not an attack on journalists or a free media.
Press AssociationReuse content