Partially paralysed man missing half his head 'declared fit for work by DWP'

Kenny Bailey says the decision to cut his benefits was made because he can 'walk 200 yards unaided' and 'get up from his chair'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A partially paralysed man who is missing part of his head has been told he is ‘fit to work’, it has been reported.

Kenny Bailey says he suffers from severe memory problems and is paralysed on one side due to having a massive stroke in 2014. Following an operation, a third of his skull was removed to reduce pressure on his brain, resulting in a large dent in his head and he is awaiting further surgery to insert metal plates to his skull.

Mr Bailey, 50, told The Daily Mirror that the Department for Work and Pensions has cut his employment and support allowance. He claims that he now fears he will lose his home and struggle to pay basic bills following the loss of £156 per fortnight. 

Mr Bailey said the decision to cut his benefits was made because he can “walk 200 yards unaided” and “get up from his chair”.

He said: “I want to work, but I’m physically incapable. I’d love to live a normal life again- there’s nothing would make me happier. I have some use in my right hand and that’s about it. I can’t play with my own daughter which absolutely breaks my heart.

“The money is used to pay my bills and buy my food. Now I am worried I won’t be able to survive and will lose my home. Because I can use my right side, they are saying I am fit for work. I cannot use my left side, my left arm, I have got a bad limp and I cannot concentrate.”

DWP 'making wrong decisions'

A spokesperson for The Department for Work and Pensions told The Independent: "Work Capability Assessments help ensure that people get the level of support that they need, rather than just writing them off on sickness benefits as happened in the past. The decision on whether someone is well enough to work is taken following a thorough independent assessment, and after consideration of all the supporting evidence from the claimant's GP or medical specialist. A claimant who disagrees with the outcome of their assessment can appeal."