Plumbers fear taxman's tap on the shoulder
Wednesday 17 August 2011
Plumbers are being targeted by the taxman as the HM Revenue and Customs steps up its effort to wrench taxes from those it believes have underpaid.
The HMRC announced that it had arrested five plumbers and that a further 600 were under civil investigation for allegedly underpaying their taxes, despite a government scheme to giving the industry an opportunity to come forward voluntarily and put their tax affairs in order.
"HMRC have had limited success with numbers coming forward, so they are getting tough with those who didn't register or disclose," said a Chartered Institute of Taxation spokesman.
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...