Sambuca attack tourist 'feared for life'

Click to follow
The Independent Online

A tourist allegedly set on fire by a Greek woman during a holiday night out flew home to the UK because he feared for his life, his father said.

Stuart Feltham, 20, was due to testify against 26-year-old student Marina Fanouraki, who is accused of throwing sambuca on him and lighting it in a bar on Crete.

Instead he arrived back at his parents' home in Swindon, Wiltshire, on Sunday night because he risked vigilante-style reprisals, his father Ian said.

"The local people are stirring things up so much. She's a martyr. I think it does cause a dangerous situation," Mr Feltham senior said.

Fanouraki was charged last week after turning herself in to police in the resort of Malia.

She admits pouring the drink over Mr Feltham, claiming she did so after he made inappropriate advances to her. But she denies setting fire to him.

The story has made national headlines in Greece, where some have hailed her as a heroine who took a stand against rowdy British holidaymakers.

Speaking from the family home where plumber Stuart also lives, Mr Feltham, 48, said his son's second degree burns were being examined by a doctor.

It was likely he would then be treated in hospital, added Mr Feltham, who works in retail.

He suggested that his son was subjected to the "brutal" attack because he was British, adding that he advised him to leave the island after seeing crowds of the woman's supporters "raging in the streets".

The trial in the town of Iraklion in northern Crete was adjourned until August 17.

Mr Feltham's lawyer, George Koundourakis, said: "I asked for the postponement of the case as Mr Feltham had to return to England for medical matters and to return to his family and also to gather more evidence in collaboration with his father."

He said the case was likely to be adjourned again as he would request more time to gather witness evidence.

Asked if Mr Feltham was likely to return to Crete to give evidence, he said it was too premature to say.

Mr Koundourakis said Fanouraki did not appear in court today.