Tatchell backs man who opposed gay marriage
A Christian who was demoted in his job for posting his opposition to gay marriage on Facebook has taken his employer to court – and has found an unlikely ally in the gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell.
Adrian Smith lost his managerial position and had his salary cut by 40 per cent by Trafford Housing Trust after posting that gay weddings in church were "an equality too far".
The trust's action was swiftly criticised by many, including Mr Tatchell, who has previously said: "I am backing his bid for reinstatement and I'm prepared to testify in his defence. Strange but true." He added that if a gay employee had been treated this way "there would quite rightly be an outcry and accusations of homophobia. Why, then, are some lesbian and gay people supporting such a harsh penalty for Adrian Smith?"
Mr Smith gave evidence yesterday at Manchester County Court at the start of a two-day trial, where he is claiming his employer acted unlawfully in demoting him. The trust argues that he broke its code of conduct.
- 1 Heading for America? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 3 You thought Ryanair's attendants had it bad? Wait 'til you hear about their pilots
- 4 'Swivel-gate': David Cameron goes to war with the press over 'swivel-eyed loons' slur
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Package: Austen Lloyd: This is a senior appointment with huge potent...
£28000 - £31500 per annum + benefits: Randstad Education Newcastle: Permanent ...
£50000 - £58000 per annum + Benefits and Bonus: Progressive Recruitment: SAP F...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...