Tube strike: Unions announce fresh set of dates for walkout by London Underground workers

Despite 'constructive' talks, strikes have only been suspended, not cancelled

Click to follow
The Independent Online

New dates have been set by workers' unions for the Tube strikes that were due to take place this week.

The RMT union said that while it had joined the Unite and TSSA unions in calling off the walkouts this week, strikes would still go ahead on 8 and 10 September unless a deal was achieved.

Unite said the suspension of strikes that were planned for Tuesday and Thursday this week were suspended as a "gesture of goodwill" following what representatives called "constructive" talks with London Underground bosses.

But in a statement, the union said there were still "sticking points" over plans to introduce a new all-night Tube service at weekends.

RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: "Our negotiators have been able to make enough significant progress in talks at Acas over pay, jobs and night Tube to allow us to suspend this week's strike dates.

"We have still not reached a final agreement and as a result we are putting on additional strike action next month. In the meantime, the talks process will continue.

"I want to pay tribute to the union members who have remained united and rock solid throughout this dispute. It is their determination which forced LU to begin talking seriously and which has enabled us to make the progress that we have so far.

Unite's regional officer Hugh Roberts said: "There are still some remaining sticking points, but we feel sufficient progress has been made to suspend industrial action as an act of goodwill. We will continue to approach talks with London Underground in a positive manner."

The drivers' union Aslef had already decided not to strike this week.

Comments