A two-year-old boy has been taken from his parents’ care after a health visitor highlighted concerns about the level of cigarette smoke at his home.
A health visitor, Julie Allen, told a family court judge that she had not come across such a “smoky house” in her 10-year career. She described the little boy and his father being surrounded by a “visible cloud of smoke” – and said she had difficulty breathing.
Judge Louise Pemberton, who was also told of a number of other concerns about the way the child was being cared for, concluded that he should be placed for adoption.
The judge said the little boy had breathing problems and needed an inhaler, and she said Ms Allen had “graphically highlighted” concerns about smoke.
Detail of the case has emerged in a written ruling by the judge following a family court hearing in Hull. Judge Pemberton said the family could not be identified and did not identify the local authority which had asked for the child to be placed for adoption.Reuse content