Muggers looking for Rolexes
Saturday 19 March 1994
Wearers of the fashionable Swiss watches, which can range in price from pounds 1,100 to pounds 10,000, are being targeted by gangs who sell them for a fraction of their value.
Robbers in the US have threatened victims with guns and chainsaws. At least three Rolex wearers in Beverly Hills have been killed.
In Britain, the trend has taken root in affluent parts of north London such as Hampstead and St John's Wood. According to one report, more than 40 attacks, several on women, have been reported in the past four months.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: 'There have been 10 street robberies since October in the Hampstead division involving the theft of Rolex watches. No one has been seriously hurt but the gangs have used force to remove the watches from their victims.'
He said the thieves operated in groups of two or three, and although incidents appeared to be opportunistic, it is thought they had buyers lined up.
Police are urging Rolex owners to note the serial numbers of their watches.
- 1 Caitlyn Jenner's mother Ester thought her daughter, formerly known as Bruce Jenner, had transitioned for money
- 2 Charles Kennedy 1959-2015: A gifted, compassionate politician whose career was cut short by the 'demon drink' - latest news
- 3 Alton Towers crash: Four seriously injured and 16 guests trapped as Smiler ride carriages collide
- 4 Ann Summers survey reveals the UK's favourite sex position
- 5 Gay teenager 'forced to have sex with his own mother' to 'cure' his homosexuality, campaigners in India say
Thousands of teenage girls enduring debilitating illnesses after routine school cancer vaccination
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Michael Gove determined to scrap the Human Rights Act – even if Scotland retains it
Threat to scrap Human Rights Act could see UK follow Nazi example, warns UN official
Church of England 'one generation away from extinction' after dramatic loss of followers
£35000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company is a solutions / s...
£18000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Executive is required t...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you inspired to bring new a...
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...