Operation 'left woman paralysed'
Wednesday 09 June 1993
Miss Howard, 27, of Branksome, Poole, Dorset, has been paralysed since the morning after an operation on her lower jaw at Poole General Hospital in November 1982.
Daniel Brennan QC, for Miss Howard, said that despite her 'catastrophe', she had obtained a law degree, qualified as a solicitor and joined a practice.
Earlier this year, she won a Businesswoman of the Year award in Swindon, Wiltshire, where she is employed by the law firm Townsends.
Mr Brennan said that before the operation she was a fit and healthy 16-year-old, except that her lower jaw was not properly aligned with her upper jaw, making eating difficult.
When she became paralysed, a consultant neurosurgeon diagnosed a spinal cord trauma, which was was not a recognised complication or even a known event following such an operation. The health authority, which denies negligence, claims the spinal problem was caused by another condition which occurred coincidentally after the operation.
The case, which is to decide the issue of liability only, continues today.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...