Parents warned of gulf in toy prices
Prices vary greatly, according to a survey in the association's Which? magazine.
Reseachers compared the prices of 12 toys and games - including Scrabble, Meccano, Nintendo Game Boy, a Mini Chef kitchen and a Sindy's make-up counter - in October. The best buys were found at Argos, Children's World, Index, Toys R Us and Woolworths. Hamleys, in central London, came out worst. 'Hamleys was the most expensive for 8 of the 12 toys,' the magazine said. 'In one or two cases the differences were less than a couple of pounds but in many cases you would end up paying much more.'
Which? said a Sindy's make- up counter cost pounds 25.65 in Woolworths and pounds 44.99 in Hamleys. A Fisher Price Mini Chef was pounds 59.97 in Toys R Us and pounds 99 in Hamleys. And Scrabble was pounds 9.24 in Argos against pounds 19.99 in Hamleys.
The magazine said a second spot-check in November showed falling prices in the run-up to Christmas - but there were still big differences.
Hamleys said the Which? report contained a number of inaccuracies - the Fisher Price Mini Chef was pounds 79.99, Scrabble pounds 12.99, and the Sindy's make-up counter pounds 39.99. 'We constantly monitor our pricing to ensure it
adequately reflects the quality of experience we offer' a spokesman said
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
Excellent Salary Package - £60K to £120K: Austen Lloyd: We have an exciting op...
£200 - £250 per day: Progressive Recruitment: Java Developer - Urgent Requirem...
£70000 - £95000 per annum + Bonus, flexible working hours, remote work: Progre...
£50000 - £56000 per annum + Benefits package, flexible working hours: Progress...