Patten 'hit and pushed at protest'
Saturday 23 April 1994
Mr Patten said Clive Soley, Labour MP for Hammersmith, was involved in the protest which flared into the ugliest scenes the Secretary of State claims to have witnessed during his two years in the post.
He is to write to John Smith, the Labour leader, demanding that he denounces the protest and dissociates himself from such 'loony left' behaviour.
Mr Patten had been invited to attend a local government election meeting yesterday at which he was presented with a petition requesting he send in a government 'hit squad' to take control of Hammersmith School which inspectors say is 'failing'. He claims that one protester tried to pull him from a car as he attempted to retreat, accompanied by an 80-year-old school governor and a woman with her nine-year-old son.
Mr Soley said the allegations were 'totally untrue . . . It was an angry but totally controlled demonstration', and has written to Mr Patten demanding their withdrawal.
Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Nelson Mandela memorial sign language interpreter was a 'fake'
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£320 - £350 per day + extension beyond: PCR Recruitment Limited: Systems Engin...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Inspiring Interns: This company delivers display ad...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: 1st/2nd Line Suppo...
£44000 - £55000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Internal Audit Ma...