Big Society has divine backing, says Prime Minister at Easter reception
The former Labour spin-doctor Alastair Campbell once declared that Tony Blair does not “do God”. But David Cameron has shown no such compunction in invoking divine backing for the Big Society.
“Jesus invented the Big Society 2,000 years ago – I just want to see more of it,” Mr Cameron told an Easter reception in Downing Street.
“If there are things that are stopping you from doing more, think of me as a giant Dyno-Rod to clear any blockages.”
The concept of all parts of the community pulling together for the mutual good was a theme throughout the 2010 Tory election manifesto. But it has been less prominent in recent years.
Speaking hours after Maria Miller resigned as Culture Secretary, Mr Cameron also told church leaders: “The Bible tells us to bear one another’s burdens. After the day I’ve had, I’m definitely looking for volunteers.”
He said his “moments of greatest peace” came when he goes to the sung Eucharist at a west London church. He explained: “I find a little bit of peace and hopefully a bit of guidance.”
- 1 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 2 Greggs Google fail: bakery falls afoul of search engine's algorithms with 'unofficial' logo
- 3 Is this the end of apps? New research says a third of us don't bother to download
- 4 Here’s the damning letter Robin Williams wrote to his Mrs Doubtfire co-star's principal after they expelled her
- 5 Ferguson protests: 90-year-old Holocaust survivor Hedy Epstein ‘arrested’ by police during St Louis demonstrations
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Crisis? What crisis? A visiting US doctor gives the NHS a rave review
Ukip MEP calls for reintroduction of death penalty on fiftieth anniversary of last deaths
Russell Brand calls for Israel boycott: Comedian urges big businesses that 'facilitate the oppression of people in Gaza' to pull funding
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
World peace? These are the only 11 countries in the world that are actually free from conflict
£30000 - £33000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Junior DBA (SQ...
£60000 - £75000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: Business Anal...
£60000 - £90000 per annum + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Global leading Energy Tra...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + BONUS + BENEFITS: Harrington Starr: CXL, Triple Po...