Bookies lose out in Galloway rout
George Galloway's unlikely victory in Bradford West has sparked the biggest ever bookies' by-election payout in history, a leading firm said today.
Ladbrokes said punters were walking away with up to £100,000 after the new Respect MP beat odds of up 33/1.
Mr Galloway ripped up the form book as the Labour candidate went down to a heavy loss - despite being quoted as the heavy 1/50 favourite by the firm at the outset of the campaign.
Alex Donohue, of Ladbrokes, said: "Galloway has hit us for six. His supporters have pulled off a political gamble of epic proportions.
"We naively assumed the money at big prices was an attempt to slash the odds for the campaign. We couldn't have been more wrong."
Mr Galloway's odds were brought in over the course of the campaign, rating 20/1, 10/1 and then 5/1. Betting was briefly suspended as money piled on the Respect campaign.
Ladbrokes said it was not offering "specials" on Mr Galloway - including 25/1 he does a cat impression as the Bradford West MP in Parliament, a reference to his appearance on Celebrity Big Brother in 2006.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 3 Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£32000 - £33000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an outstanding opportunity for...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leader NVQ Level ...