Boris accused of misleading MPs
Sunday 23 October 2011
Boris Johnson is facing allegations that he misled MPs. The Mayor of London is said to have misled the Home Affairs Select Committee by making false claims over the success of a flagship project to reduce crime. Mr Johnson told parliamentarians last month that a unit in Feltham Young Offenders' Institution had reduced reoffending rates from 80 per cent to 19 per cent.
Sir Michael Scholar, the chair of the UK Statistics Authority, wrote to committee chairman Keith Vaz MP, on Friday, stating that the Mayor's evidence was not supported by official statistics and did not stand up to scrutiny.
Sir Michael's letter accuses Mr Johnson of ignoring official warnings not to use figures that were based on anecdotal information. Mr Johnson last week admitted the real reoffending rate was 40 per cent. Mr Vaz said: "The committee will not hesitate to recall witnesses who have provided them with unfounded evidence."
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Uruguay becomes first country to legalise marijuana trade
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£35000 - £50000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£60000 - £80000 per annum: Charter Selection: Prestigious ultra high end/luxur...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£35000 - £45000 Per Annum on call shift allowance: Clearwater People Solutions...