Businessmen lack faith in Labour, new poll shows

Business leaders say they support immediate cuts in public spending

Businessmen want immediate cuts in public spending and believe the Conservatives have better economic policies than Labour, according to an eve-of-Budget survey for
The Independent.

The ComRes poll of 185 business leaders will increase the pressure on Alistair Darling to announce detailed cuts in next week’s Budget. Only 28 per cent support the Chancellor’s view that immediate cuts would jeopardise economic recovery, while 72 per cent endorse the Tory Opposition’s call for cuts to start this year to reduce Britain’s £178bn public deficit.

However, when asked whether they would support eight specific cuts or tax rises, businessmen backed only one idea – cutting the social security budget. They opposed a rise in income tax and VAT, putting VAT on food, and reduced spending on the NHS, education and defence.

That finding will give Labour a crumb of comfort. The Tories plan to spell out some proposed cuts after the Budget and before the general election, despite previous announcements of cuts having harmed the party’s ratings in the polls.

By a big margin, business leaders believe the Tories have both the clearest and the best economic programme. 58 per cent say David Cameron’s party has the best policies, with only 13 per cent saying Labour, and 45 per cent think the Tories have the clearest policies, with just 15 per cent saying Labour.

A majority (69 per cent) of business leaders believe a hung parliament with no party enjoying an overall majority would be bad for the economy generally; only 7 per cent say it would be good and 24 per cent neither good nor bad. However, they are less worried about the impact on their own company.

There is little sign of “green shoots” taking hold. The proportion of businessmen who detect signs of economic recovery has risen only slightly in the past month, from 47 to 49 per cent.

According to ComRes, businessmen have little confidence in Mr Darling as he prepares to present his Budget. Only 21 per cent say they are confident in his ability, only half as many (42 per cent) who have confidence in George Osborne, the shadow Chancellor. He also outscores Mr Darling on understanding business (by 64 to 27 per cent).

However, the poll also reflects doubts in the business world about Mr Osborne’s credentials.Seventy-eight per cent of those polled believe he lacks experience and 46 per cent say he is out of his depth.

Mr Cameron (55 per cent) enjoys a higher “confidence rating” among business leaders than Mr Osborne. So do Kenneth Clarke, the shadow Business Secretary and former Chancellor (66 per cent) and Vince Cable, the Liberal Democrats’ Treasury spokesman (57 per cent). Only 19 per cent of them have confidence in Mr Brown, 25 per cent in the Business Secretary Lord Mandelson, and 20 per cent in the Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg.

Mr Darling, who has shelved a government-wide spending review until the autumn, came under further pressure yesterday to outline specific cuts in the Budget. The European Commission said in a report that “the absence of detailed departmental spending limits is a source of uncertainty”. It also suggested that the Treasury’s forecasts of economic growth may prove optimistic.

Mr Darling received conflicting advice in last-minute submissions from trade unions and business groups. The TUC warned the economy was “far too fragile” to withstand spending cuts and said there was still a “huge risk” of a double dip recession. But the British Chambers of Commerce called for a clear deficit reduction plan, and urged him to scrap a planned 1 per cent rise in employer national insurance contributions due to take effect in a year’s time, branding it a “tax on jobs”.

News
Russia Today’s new UK channel began broadcasting yesterday. Discussions so far have included why Britons see Russia as ‘the bad guy’
news

New UK station Russia Today gives a very bizarre view of Britain

News
people
News
people
Voices
Left: An illustration of the original Jim Crowe, played by TD Rice Right: A Couple dressed as Ray and Janay Rice
voices

By performing as African Americans or Indians, white people get to play act a kind of 'imaginary liberation', writes Michael Mark Cohen

PROMOTED VIDEO
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
News
ebooksAn unforgettable anthology of contemporary reportage
Arts and Entertainment
Keira Knightley and Benedict Cumberbatch at the premiere of The Imitation Game at the BFI London Film Festival
filmsKeira Knightley tried to miss The Imitation Game premiere to watch Bake Off
News
i100
Arts and Entertainment
Hand out press photograph/film still from the movie Mad Max Fury Road (Downloaded from the Warner Bro's media site/Jasin Boland/© 2014 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.)
films'You have to try everything and it’s all a process of elimination, but ultimately you find your path'
Arts and Entertainment
Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge in the Harry Potter films
books

New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site this morning

News
people

Top Gear presenter is no stranger to foot-in-mouth controversy

News
i100
Latest stories from i100
Have you tried new the Independent Digital Edition apps?
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs General

Mobile Developer (.NET / C# / Jason / Jquery / SOA)

£40000 - £65000 per annum + bonus + benefits + OT: Ampersand Consulting LLP: M...

Humanities Teacher - Greater Manchester

£22800 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Manchester Secondary: The JobAt ...

Design Technology Teacher

£22800 - £33600 per annum: Randstad Education Manchester Secondary: Calling al...

Foundation Teacher

£100 - £125 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: EYFS Teachers - East Essex...

Day In a Page

The drugs revolution starts now as MPs agree its high time for change

The drugs revolution starts now as MPs agree its high time for change

Commons debate highlights growing cross-party consensus on softening UK drugs legislation, unchanged for 43 years
The camera is turned on tabloid editors in Richard Peppiatt's 'One Rogue Reporter'

Gotcha! The camera is turned on tabloid editors

Hugh Grant says Richard Peppiatt's 'One Rogue Reporter' documentary will highlight issues raised by Leveson
Fall of the Berlin Wall: It was thanks to Mikhail Gorbachev that this symbol of division fell

Fall of the Berlin Wall

It was thanks to Gorbachev that this symbol of division fell
Halloween 2014: What makes Ouija boards, demon dolls, and evil clowns so frightening?

What makes ouija boards and demon dolls scary?

Ouija boards, demon dolls, evil children and clowns are all classic tropes of horror, and this year’s Halloween releases feature them all. What makes them so frightening, decade after decade?
A safari in modern Britain: Rose Rouse reveals how her four-year tour of Harlesden taught her as much about the UK as it did about NW10

Rose Rouse's safari in modern Britain

Rouse decided to walk and talk with as many different people as possible in her neighbourhood of Harlesden and her experiences have been published in a new book
Welcome to my world of no smell and odd tastes: How a bike accident left one woman living with unwanted food mash-ups

'My world of no smell and odd tastes'

A head injury from a bicycle accident had the surprising effect of robbing Nell Frizzell of two of her senses

Matt Parker is proud of his square roots

The "stand-up mathematician" is using comedy nights to preach maths to big audiences
Paul Scholes column: Beating Manchester City is vital part of life at Manchester United. This is first major test for Luke Shaw, Angel Di Maria and Radamel Falcao – it’s not a game to lose

Paul Scholes column

Beating City is vital part of life at United. This is first major test for Shaw, Di Maria and Falcao – it’s not a game to lose
Frank Warren: Call me an old git, but I just can't see that there's a place for women’s boxing

Frank Warren column

Call me an old git, but I just can't see that there's a place for women’s boxing
Adrian Heath interview: Former Everton striker prepares his Orlando City side for the MLS - and having Kaka in the dressing room

Adrian Heath's American dream...

Former Everton striker prepares his Orlando City side for the MLS - and having Kaka in the dressing room
Simon Hart: Manchester City will rise again but they need to change their attitude

Manchester City will rise again but they need to change their attitude

Manuel Pellegrini’s side are too good to fail and derby allows them to start again, says Simon Hart
Isis in Syria: A general reveals the lack of communication with the US - and his country's awkward relationship with their allies-by-default

A Syrian general speaks

A senior officer of Bashar al-Assad’s regime talks to Robert Fisk about his army’s brutal struggle with Isis, in a dirty war whose challenges include widespread atrocities
‘A bit of a shock...’ Cambridge economist with Glasgow roots becomes Zambia’s acting President

‘A bit of a shock...’ Economist with Glasgow roots becomes Zambia’s acting President

Guy Scott's predecessor, Michael Sata, died in a London hospital this week after a lengthy illness
Fall of the Berlin Wall: History catches up with Erich Honecker - the East German leader who praised the Iron Curtain and claimed it prevented a Third World War

Fall of the Berlin Wall

History catches up with Erich Honecker - the East German leader who praised the Iron Curtain and claimed it prevented a Third World War
How to turn your mobile phone into easy money

Turn your mobile phone into easy money

There are 90 million unused mobiles in the UK, which would be worth £7bn if we cashed them in, says David Crookes