Chancellor hopes to secure cut in 50p tax rate
George Osborne is pushing the Liberal Democrats to accept a cut in the top rate of income tax from 50p to 40p in next week's Budget.
Mr Osborne is keen to abolish the top rate – brought in under Labour – as a sign to business that the Tories will not penalise "wealth creators". But he realises that in return other taxation measures targeting the wealthy will have to be brought in – possibly the Liberal Democrats' "tycoon tax" – to avoid Labour's charge that the Government is the protector of the super-rich. David Cameron and Nick Clegg, alongside Mr Osborne and Danny Alexander, are due to speak by phone today about the Budget and a final meeting is scheduled for Monday.
No final decisions have yet been taken but the Liberal Democrats acknowledge they will not try to block the 50p reduction. Instead their strategy is to extract as many concessions as possible from the Tories for the move.
A study for the Treasury is expected to show the 50p rate is bringing in hundreds of millions, rather than billions, of pounds.
Ukip election posters: Nigel Farage defends 'racist' campaign anti-immigration campaign ahead of Europe elections
Ukip leader Nigel Farage defends employing German wife, at launch of anti-immigration poster campaign
Is Britain really a land of God? Furious debate after David Cameron claims we are a Christian country
An open letter to Nigel Farage: you may smile, but I am not seduced
Ukip leader Nigel Farage boasts: We will hold balance of power at next general election, just as Nick Clegg did
Nigel Farage: Calling Ukip’s posters ‘racist’ is yet another example of shameful Westminster evasion
- 1 Joan Smith: Call off the search teams - the G-spot is a myth
- 2 Andreas Whittam Smith: Forget what sounds clever. Just run the country
- 3 Lineker blames £25,000-a-year school after son fails to make grade
- 4 Steve Richards: Cameron can't easily dismiss the toxic trail to Murdoch's bid
- 5 'Cuddle drug' may be the new Viagra
- 6 Robert Fisk: The Children of Fallujah - the hospital of horrors
- 7 Scientists say Turin Shroud is supernatural
- 8 Sleeping around: My moment of truth happened at university
- 9 French in uproar over oral sex anti-smoking posters
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: We have an excellent opportunity for a Solici...
£22000 - £25000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Air Tight...
£9 per hour: Randstad Education Group: Exam Invigilators - SecondaryRandstad E...
£85 - £130 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: Long term position in large p...