David Cameron confronts Spain after shots are fired at jet-skier off Gibraltar
Friday 28 June 2013
David Cameron has protested to his Spanish counterpart after shots were fired at a jet-skier off Gibraltar.
The Prime Minister confronted Mariano Rajoy during a Brussels summit and demanded an explanation for the "illegal incursion" into British territorial waters.
At a press conference, Mr Cameron said he wanted to make sure a full investigation took place and it was important that countries followed international law.
"I did raise this with the Spanish Prime Minister," he said. "I think this is a totally unacceptable episode and I made that clear.
"I think it is very important that people on Gibraltar know that we support them, we support their sovereignty."
He added: "We need to find out more about what happened but from what I have heard... it is not acceptable."
It is understood that Mr Cameron "made a beeline" for Mr Rajoy soon after arriving at the summit yesterday.
In the incident on Sunday, a Spanish police boat pursued Dale Villa while he was on his jet-ski near West Beach.
Witnesses reported seeing a large number of plastic batons being fired from the Guardia Civil vessel and splashing into the water. No-one was injured.
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 Australian ultra-nationalist politician Stephanie Banister in car crash immigration TV interview
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£50000 - £70000 per annum + Benefits : Harrington Starr: Senior Automation QA ...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£31000 - £43000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: This se...
£27000 - £45000 per annum: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Lambeth...