Flagship £1bn youth unemployment scheme branded a failure
Government figures show that only fractions of places and subsidies have been taken up
Andrew Grice has been Political Editor of The Independent since 1998. He was previously Political Editor of The Sunday Times, where he worked for 10 years, and he has been a Westminster-based journalist since 1982. His column, Inside Politics, appears in The Independent each Saturday.
Tuesday 22 October 2013
The Government’s flagship scheme to tackle youth unemployment has been branded a failure by its own advisers, who have urged ministers to offer a “work guarantee” to jobless under 25-year-olds.
Their call gives the Coalition a dilemma because Labour has proposed a similar “real jobs guarantee” to 18-24 year-olds who have been out of work for a year, with benefits being withdrawn for those who refuse to take up the offer.
The Social Mobility and Child Poverty Commission has questioned the value of the £1bn Youth Contract, which has been championed by Nick Clegg. It provides temporary wage subsidies to employers worth up to £2,275 if they provide a six-month “job start” for under 25s.
Funding was provided by the Coalition for 160,000 of these subsidies for three years from April 2012. But the commission discovered that only 21,000 applications were made by May this year, and only 2,070 payments made for young people completing 26 weeks on the scheme. This means that, a quarter of the way through the programme, only one eighth of the places, and one-eightieth of the subsidies, have been used.
Alan Milburn, the former Labour Cabinet minister who chairs the commission, told The Independent yesterday: “Aspects of the Youth Contract are working but not enough to make a meaningful dent in appallingly high levels of youth unemployment. Long term joblessness has a scarring effect for life. Government should work with employers to offer young people a guarantee of a job if they are in danger of becoming long-term unemployed.”
Although the commission has praised the work experience placements offered under the Youth Contract, it has told ministers it is worried that “little progress” has been made on tackling youth unemployment. One third of jobless 18-24-year-olds (250,000 people) have been out of work for more than 12 months, and 15 per cent (115,000) for more than 24 months, the highest level since 1994.
The Commission is urging ministers to set a goal of eliminating long term youth unemployment (12 months and longer) and reduce the proportion of NEETS (those not in education, employment or training) to below the European average. It is proposing a “youth credit” payment for those who take up “high quality” work or training. It wants the Government to cap the amount of time that jobless 18-24 year-olds can spend on benefits by introducing a “job guarantee”, perhaps as part of its Work Programme.
A spokesman for Mr Clegg said: “Everyone deserves the chance to do well and get on in life, but too many young people find that opportunities are out of reach. The Deputy Prime Minister has ordered a review, chaired by the Cabinet Secretary into what we offer to young people to make the transition from school to work better.
"Tens of thousands of young people have already benefited from the Youth Contract, which offers work experience, apprenticeships and help for employers to offer young people jobs that last. Since the Youth Contract was launched in 2012, youth unemployment has fallen by 58,000.”
David Cameron has asked his Downing Street Policy Unit to look into the NEETS issue. He told the Tory conference last month that under-25s could lose their right to housing benefit and Jobseeker’s Allowance if they were not in work or training. But the Liberal Democrats are cautious about benefit sanctions and so the plans may be included in the Tory manifesto at the 2015 election. The Heywood review could lead to some changes to the Youth Contract before the election.
The commission told ministers that there are “substantial gaps” in the provision for 18-24 year-olds, saying: “The risks must be addressed with greater urgency if progress on life chances is not to be threatened. Our judgement is that here the UK Government was too late to the party and what it is doing is so far having too limited an impact.”
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 Phil Neville backtracks on Tomas Rosicky 'I'd smash him' comments from Match of the Day 2
- 5 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Prince Philip set to be knighted by Australia: Celebrate by reading his greatest gaffes
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Opportunity to join established...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: On behalf of a successful academy i...
£45000 - £50000 per annum: Investigo: My client, a global leader in providing ...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: WEST LONDON - An excellent new opportunity wit...