Greening: my critical look at Rwandan aid handout
The Government is to review the controversial decision by the former International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell to reinstate aid to Rwanda, his successor, Justine Greening, has told The Independent.
Mr Mitchell was criticised for lifting a freeze on £16m of British aid to President Paul Kagame's regime on his final day as International Development Secretary last month. It is understood Mr Mitchell overruled his own officials, despite his close relationship with Rwanda's hardline leader. But Ms Greening could now overrule her predecessor. "I am taking a critical look at the decision," she said.
If the ban is reinstated it would pile more pressure on Mr Mitchell, who pulled out of the Tory Party conference after allegedly describing Downing Street policeman as "plebs".
Documents recently released by the Department for International Development suggest Mr Mitchell had promised the aid money despite concerns about the regime's dire human rights record.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...