Secret information relating to torture allegations in the case of Binyam Mohamed was published on the Foreign Office website today.
Here are the seven paragraphs from the High Court judgments in full:
* It was reported that a new series of interviews was conducted by the United States authorities prior to 17 May 2002 as part of a new strategy designed by an expert interviewer.
* It was reported that at some stage during that further interview process by the United States authorities, BM (Binyam Mohamed) had been intentionally subjected to continuous sleep deprivation. The effects of the sleep deprivation were carefully observed.
* It was reported that combined with the sleep deprivation, threats and inducements were made to him. His fears of being removed from United States custody and "disappearing" were played upon.
* It was reported that the stress brought about by these deliberate tactics was increased by him being shackled in his interviews.
* It was clear not only from the reports of the content of the interviews but also from the report that he was being kept under self-harm observation, that the interviews were having a marked effect upon him and causing him significant mental stress and suffering.
* We regret to have to conclude that the reports provided to the SyS (security services) made clear to anyone reading them that BM was being subjected to the treatment that we have described and the effect upon him of that intentional treatment.
* The treatment reported, if had been administered on behalf of the United Kingdom, would clearly have been in breach of the undertakings given by the United Kingdom in 1972. Although it is not necessary for us to categorise the treatment reported, it could readily be contended to be at the very least cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment by the United States authorities.Reuse content