A campaigning MP is “very concerned” about claims that the long-delayed inquiry into historic child sex abuse could go on for eight years.
Labour’s Simon Danczuk said it could be a case of civil servants being “overly cautious” but added that the inquiry needs to be “more efficient”. The inquiry, headed by New Zealand High Court judge Lowell Goddard, may not publish its final report until 2023, according to The Sunday Times.
Tapes leaked to the newspaper are said to have featured a senior Home Office official saying the inquiry could “go on for eight years” during a meeting with campaigners last month.
Mr Danczuk said: “I’m very concerned that it might take that long. Many of the survivors of child sexual abuse have already had to wait a long time since many of these crimes were committed.
“It’s also took a long time for the inquiry itself to be set up. And I’d be concerned if the civil servants who are involved in organising and running the inquiry are predicting such a lengthy inquiry.”
“I can’t see why it should take so long,” he added.Reuse content