London mayor Boris Johnson urges EU vote before next election
Boris Johnson intensified the pressure on David Cameron today by calling for a vote on Britain’s place in Europe before the next general election.
Mr Cameron is to attempt to unite his party on European policy in a major speech next month. He is expected to promise to include a referendum on the UK’s place in the EU in the Tories’ 2015 election manifesto.
Under that timescale, the vote might not take place for another five years, but the London Major challenged the PM to treat the issue with more urgency.
He BBC1’s The Andrew Marr Show he would like to see the public given the chance to vote before 2015, although he did not expect it to happen. “We have never had a popular vote since 1975 on a European question. I would like to be able to campaign for a single market and the withdrawal from a lot of the nonsensical policies,” he said.
“I think it would be a good idea if they did it before 2015.”
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£110 - £135 per day: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Teaching opportunites in t...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary Teaching opp...
£21000 - £32000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: Primary School teach...