Number of civil servants earning more than £150,000 falls by a third
The number of senior government workers earning more than £150,000 has fallen by a third since the Coalition came to power, it emerged yesterday. In April, 234 civil servants and other officials had salaries in the top tax band – down from 291 in 2011 and 372 in 2010.
The chief executive of the Olympic Delivery Authority, Dennis Hone, was the highest paid on between £310,000 and £315,000. But that was significantly lower than last year's No 1, the head of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority, Tony Fountain, whose package was worth more than £500,000. His successor, John Clarke, is earning between £265,000 and £270,000, according to figures released by the Government. Under the squeeze on pay overseen by the Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude, any salary above the Prime Minister's £142,500 has to be signed off by the Treasury.
Mr Maude said: "These figures show that there are a third fewer civil servants earning over £150,000 than there were under Labour.
"We must continue to attract the very best into public office but, unlike before, all salaries over this level are now specifically approved by the Chief Secretary to the Treasury."
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...