'Sweetheart deal' taxman Dave Hartnett joins accountancy firm Deloitte
Tuesday 28 May 2013
The former tax executive criticised for making "sweetheart deals" with multinational companies has been appointed as a specialist adviser for a leading accountancy firm.
Dave Hartnett, who resigned as Permanent Secretary for Tax at Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, will work one day a week for Deloitte, the auditor of Vodafone and Starbucks. The 62-year-old will advise overseas governments on how to implement "effective tax regimes", according to details of the appointment published on the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments website.
David Cameron approved the appointment on the condition that Mr Hartnett was "not involved in any work considering how UK taxation can be mitigated or avoided".
Mr Hartnett helped to agree a number of "sweetheart deals" with major corporations including Vodafone and Goldman Sachs.
A High Court judge found that a deal brokered by Mr Hartnett with Goldman Sachs, which saved the US bank £20m in interest payments, was lawful but "not a glorious episode in the history of the revenue".
Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
£34999 - £43001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top 10 firm in ...
£40000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Software E...
£45000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Java In...
£40000 - £65000 per annum + Bonus + 28 days holiday: Harrington Starr: Senior ...