Sybil the Downing St mouser is dead
Chancellor Alistair Darling's cat Sybil, the former chief mouser of Downing Street, has died after a short illness.
Mr Darling's spokeswoman confirmed that the black and white cat died yesterday at the home of a family friend in London.
Sybil, named after Basil's wife in the TV show Fawlty Towers, was moved into the Chancellor's flat above 11 Downing Street from the Darling family home in Edinburgh in 2007.
Gordon Brown's official spokesman told reporters at the time: "The Prime Minister and Sarah do not have a problem with it."
But the renowned mouser was eventually taken back to Scotland after failing to settle.
Sybil's predecessor Humphrey wandered around Downing Street for years after first arriving in 1989. But he moved out just six months after Tony Blair became PM in 1997.
sportBayern Munich 2 Manchester City 3: City come from two down to beat reigning European Champions
arts + ents... and a chance to paint Booker Prize winning author Hilary Mantel
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Krokodil in Mexico? Teenager hospitalised after 'injecting drug into her genitals'
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
£22000 - £25000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Junior/Grad C# .NET Wi...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: C#.NET Developer (VB6,.NET, SQL, Winforms) Wokin...
£35999 - £44001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier practi...
£41000 - £46000 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Academically Exce...