Thatcher Hillsborough files ordered to be released
Wednesday 27 July 2011
The Government has been ordered to release documents recording the talks held by Margaret Thatcher about the 1989 Hillsborough disaster which claimed 96 lives.
The Information Commissioner, Christopher Graham, ruled that the release was in the public interest and said the papers would "add to public knowledge and understanding" of reactions to the tragedy.
A freedom of information request by the BBC two years ago was blocked by the Cabinet Office and the Information Commissioner was asked to review the refusal. The Cabinet Office has 35 days to comply, unless there is an appeal.
The Government had argued that to release the records would impinge on the willingness of ministers to speak openly.
In the tragedy at Hillsborough, Sheffield Wednesday's football ground, scores of Liverpool fans were crushed to death because of overcrowding that an inquiry blamed primarily on the failure of police to control the crowds.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...