Prostitutes' clients 'enjoy risk'
Friday 11 June 1993
The vast majority of the men said they approached prostitutes in the street in preference to saunas, advertisements or other means, because the latter reduced the 'thrill of the encounter', the International Aids Conference in Berlin was told.
The research was done by Jean Saugier and colleagues at the Department of Nursing at Manchester University, who obtained answers to questionnaires from 120 men who used prostitutes. Their ages ranged from 19 to 61 - the average was 39 - and more than 80 per cent were in full-time work. A total of 62 per cent were married.
Less than two-thirds of the men said they always used a condom during intercourse with a prostitute, and 5 per cent admitted they never did. Eight per cent reported having sex with another man during the past year. The researchers were particularly concerned about this 'hidden bisexuality', and by the need of many of the men to experience 'risk'. The danger of HIV transmission was compounded by the fact that the men claimed hardly ever to use a condom with their regular partner.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
German chancellor Angela Merkel named most powerful woman in the world by Forbes - again
World news in pictures
Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 1 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Bloody attack brings terror to capital’s streets
- 2 Mothers' diets may harm IQs in two-thirds of babies
- 3 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 4 Eyewitness gives extraordinary account of her confrontation with Woolwich attackers
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL might have a sinister plan as a soldier is murdered in suspected Islamic terrorist attack
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.