Rundown of city parks 'threatens urban heritage'
Wednesday 26 October 1994
Alan Barber, a green-space management consultant, said: 'Many urban landscapes are neglected and under-used, the tree population is in decline, the skills of public horticulture are being lost, recreation grounds are green deserts and our public parks are being eroded.'
Since the introduction of the poll tax four years ago, he said, hard-up local authorities have repeatedly cut park budgets because they are under no statutory obligation to maintain their parks.
The formula governing what local authorities have to spend - the Standard Spending Assessment (SSA) - takes no account of public parks or green spaces. The consequence is that what local authorities spend on open space bears no relationship to what citizens pay in council tax or what they get in revenue support grant.
Whereas locally raised revenue used to amount to about 45 per cent of a council's budget, it now comprises around 15 per cent. The remaining 85 per cent of funds is revenue support grant money which is mostly prioritised for other services which councils are bound by statute to deliver.
'To watch our heritage of urban parks decline whilst the nation's politicians wring their hands in despair over crime, health, education, pollution . . . and the yobbo society, without ever seeing the connection, is a very frustrating experience,' Mr Barber said.
Parks were the victim of a 'triple whammy': the SSA formula does not include them; local authorities had no statutory duty to maintain them; and there was no agency such as the Countryside Commission to champion their cause.
Ken Worpole, a writer, researcher and policy adviser who is co-directing a national study of parks for the think- tanks Comedia and Demos, said the context for the park in modern Britain was radically different from Victorian times.
Cars had given people the freedom to travel further afield, 85 per cent of the population had access to private gardens, and parents were less prepared to allow children to make unsupervised trips.
He said the important issue was not how much space was available but how well it was used. Parks had an almost spiritual importance, a free space where other values prevailed. They could become arenas in which it was possible for new citizenship notions to develop.
Who goes down to the park today?
Two-thirds of park users are male, one third female.
The elderly population is now under-represented in park use.
Most people now visit parks in groups.
Women feel they need a 'prop' - a dog or a child, for example, - when they visit a park on their own.
Ethnic minorities visit parks at certain times of the day and week to achieve safety in numbers.
More than 70 per cent of people still walk to their local parks as many as three or four times a week.
Councils spend nearly pounds 1bn a year on the upkeep of parks.
- 1 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 2 Does the path to true love really lie in these 36 questions?
- 4 Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
- 5 Roald Dahl letter warning student to 'eschew beastly adjectives' rediscovered after 35 years
King Salman: Just five days in, Saudi Arabia's new king has already overseen a beheading
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Auschwitz liberation 70th anniversary: Woman sent to three Nazi death camps describes surviving gas chamber
Presidential optical illusion offers clues to how brain processes faces
Chilling drone footage captures Auschwitz ahead of 70th anniversary of liberation
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
£25000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This web-based lead generation ...
£125 - £150 per day + Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: A 'wonderful primary ...
£90 - £140 per day: Tradewind Recruitment: Our client is an 11-16 mixed commun...
£32000 - £36000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A rapidly developing company in...