From Brighton to a lighthouse in Maine, the Christmas decorations that lit up our lives
Sunday 16 December 2012
If you're yet to dig out the decade-old string of fairy lights that are coiled around a clutch of gaudy baubles and haven't got round to stringing up the sparkly icicles along the guttering, why not take inspiration from this illuminating lot?
From the spoof (alas) video of Brighton's Christmas lights that has gone viral – think rude words and naughty scenes picked out in festive bulbs, which can be seen here: goo.gl/WoJaQ – to the droll neighbours who've piggybacked on next-door's decorations with a brief, if witty, light show of their own, one rule for 2012 displays is go funny, or go home and stay there, at least until 12th Night.
Or you can go large, like the residents of Trinity Close in Burnham-on-Sea, who have almost 100,000 bulbs burning. And it's not just civilians getting in on the act: this German army vehicle has been doing its rounds in Afghanistan. A note to the lighthouse keeper at Spring Point Ledge Light in Maine: you might want to up the wattage next year.
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...