Kray leaves hospital

Click to follow
The Independent Online

East End gangster Reggie Kray, who has inoperable cancer,today left the Norwich and Norfolk General Hospital after his illness stabilised.

East End gangster Reggie Kray, who has inoperable cancer,today left the Norwich and Norfolk General Hospital after his illness stabilised.

His solicitor Mark Goldstein said Kray, aged 66, "has been incarcerated for 32 years. Although he was released on 26 August he has been within the hospital confines fighting for his life.

"This is his first day of freedom and I would hope that the press and media for the next two or three days will give him some breathing space," he said.

Kray stabbed Jack "The Hat" McVitie to death in a flat in Stoke Newington, north London. He was convicted of murder at the Old Bailey in 1969 and sentenced to life imprisonment with a recommendation that he serve not less than 30 years.

A hospital spokesman said Kray left the hospital by car at 11am: "We can't say much more than that. As far as the hospital is concerned we will not be involved with Mr Kray any more as the situation stands at the moment."

He was freed from prison on August 26 by Home Secretary Jack Straw on compassionate grounds, in view of his deteriorating health.

On July 28 he was transferred from his cell in Norwich Prison to the prison's healthcare wing. He had exploratory surgery on August 4 and was transferred to the Norwich and Norfolk on August 17.

Mr Goldstein added that Kray and his wife had been "overwhelmed" by the volume of cards and telephone calls wishing him well. "They would like everyone to know that the continuing support provides the strength to battle against the cancer," he said.

Comments