Man of Steel to guard Yorkshire gateway
Tuesday 19 June 2012
A giant Man of Steel, twice the height of the Angel of the North, is planned for the side of the M1 at Rotherham. Designs for the £2.5m sculpture, which will symbolise the region's steel and coalmining heritage, have been submitted to the local council. Funded by private enterprise, the 40-metre statue is intended to act as a gateway to South Yorkshire and help attract new business. Steve Mehdi, an artist based in Derbyshire, said he was confident the work would go ahead by 2015, once it had been approved by Rotherham Council.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...