Man of Steel to guard Yorkshire gateway
Tuesday 19 June 2012
A giant Man of Steel, twice the height of the Angel of the North, is planned for the side of the M1 at Rotherham. Designs for the £2.5m sculpture, which will symbolise the region's steel and coalmining heritage, have been submitted to the local council. Funded by private enterprise, the 40-metre statue is intended to act as a gateway to South Yorkshire and help attract new business. Steve Mehdi, an artist based in Derbyshire, said he was confident the work would go ahead by 2015, once it had been approved by Rotherham Council.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Chemical and radiation experts investigate after death of man found inside tent in field
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
£25000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitment Company...
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...