Sandhurst security breach film 'does not show Harry'
Cahal Milmo is the chief reporter of The Independent and has been with the paper since 2000. He was born in London and previously worked at the Press Association news agency. He has reported on assignment at home and abroad, including Rwanda, Sudan and Burkina Faso, the phone hacking scandal and the London Olympics. In his spare time he is a keen runner and cyclist, and keeps an allotment.
Friday 17 June 2005
A row has broken out between The Sun newspaper and the Royal Family over whether video footage secretly filmed at Sandhurst contains images of Prince Harry in army training.
Yesterday the newspaper published pictures taken by an undercover reporter inside the military academy, leading the Defence Secretary, John Reid, to order a security review.
The Sun published still images from grainy video footage, including what it contended were pictures of the Prince, to show how their reporter was able to breach security.
But Clarence House said: "Having reviewed the footage and spoken to those who were with Harry, we are of the opinion that it is not him in the footage."
A spokeswoman for The Sun insisted: "The footage is Prince Harry. We stand by it 100 per cent. The Clarence House denial is absurd."
The Sun said that its reporter, known only as "the Investigator", spent hours wandering around the grounds of the academy in Camberley, Surrey, and even built a fake bomb out of plasticine and a clock.
The journalist was reportedly posing as a student of warfare. Despite being challenged twice he was able to talk his way through security checks.
Mr Reid said: "I have demanded an immediate investigation into this serious security breach. I have instructed Sandhurst to change their procedures to prevent a recurrence."
An MoD spokesman said: "We treat any kind of breach of security extremely seriously. Sandhurst is now conducting a review of its procedures and changes will be made."
The Sun said that its reporter posed as a "warfare student", wandering into accommodation blocks where cadets sleep. It printed the disputed photograph on its front page with the headline: "I could have blown Harry to bits."
The Prince, an officer cadet at Sandhurst, has completed five weeks of the academy's famously gruelling training course.
- 1 Woman accidentally shoots herself in the head while posing for a selfie
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...