The top ten: Most English remarks of all time
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 05 January 2014
Janan Ganesh, the 'Financial Times' commentator, was most taken by David Cameron's quotation of Boris Johnson's line about his Anglican belief: 'My faith is a bit like Magic FM in the Chilterns, in that the signal comes and goes.' Who can compete?
1. "I am just going outside and may be some time." Captain Oates. Nominated by Martin Boulton.
2. "I think it's easing." (Of the rain.) Nominated by Deborah Loudon.
3. "Old maids hiking to Holy Communion through the mists of the autumn morning." George Orwell. Via Nick Reid.
4. "Who you looking at, mate?" Usually as spoken in a pub, in a market town, on a Saturday night. But can be used any time. From Sean Kenny.
5. "Sorry." James Harvard.
6. "Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough! It isn't fit for humans now." Sir John Betjeman. With thanks to Janson De Couët.
7. "Why don't you fall into two very lovely lines?" Sergeant Wilson, Dad's Army. Patrick Hennessy.
8. "Well, you know me, I ain't one to gossip." Dot Cotton, EastEnders. Thanks to Tom Freeman.
9. "It looked a tad sticky at Dunkirk." Eddie Cozens, nominated by his grandson Mark Wallace, who had asked, "Did you ever think we might lose the war?"
10. "Crashed slow-rolling near the ground. Bad show." Douglas Bader's logbook, on the accident that cost him his legs. From Tom Joyce.
Next week: Unexpected etymology ('bumf' is an abbreviation of bum-fodder, for example).
Coming soon: Tautologies (safe haven, pre-planned). Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 'Not suppost to cry': 9-year-old lists the worst things about being a boy
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
Ryan Gosling granted temporary restraining order against a woman 'convinced she was his twin flame'
Jennifer Lawrence sings in new The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt 1 clip on YouTube
Mike Nichols dead: The Graduate director dies suddenly following cardiac arrest
Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...