The top ten: Signs with double meanings
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at King's College, London, and at Queen Mary University of London. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 27 April 2014
Mike Graham said, 'I refuse to go in here,' when he posted a picture of a door in New York with the sign, 'Refuse Room'. As Tom Freeman pointed out, 'That was the policy of the Bethlehem innkeeper.' Here are 10 more signs with unintended messages…
1. This door is alarmed Nominated by Keith Robinson.
2. Disabled toilet Whenever Andrew Denny sees it, he thinks, "Well, why doesn't someone fix it, then?"
3. 'Women' Sign on ladies' loo with alarming quotation marks.
4. Dogs must be carried Suggested by Michael Tidd.
5. We don't fly in our chickens. They're 100% British From Russell Smith.
6. Eggs buzz at gate Seen outside a farmhouse in Hadlow Down, East Sussex, by Tony Hall.
7. Slow Children Playing Nominated by David Artley.
8. Children: Please Drive Slowly From Citizen Sane.
9. Train drivers must not be disturbed One of Mike Graham's favourites, at London Bridge station.
10. If this lift is found to be out of order please use an alternative lift Manchester Piccadilly station. From Nick Thornsby. The second meaning being, "Get lost."
Next week: Footnotes.
Coming soon: Signs that most people think mean the opposite of what they mean. Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
- 2 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 3 Why it matters 26 million people have changed their Facebook profile picture to a rainbow flag
- 4 German ethics council calls for incest between siblings to be legalised by Government
- 5 Fifty Shades of Grey author E.L James's Twitter Q&A didn't go exactly as planned
Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
Kim Jong-un shows off airport designed by architect he likely had executed
Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
Ex-Scientologist Carmen Llwyelyn blasts 'cult' and her treatment after divorce with Jason Lee
Tunisian builder has been hailed a hero after knocking gunman to the ground with roof tiles
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
£15000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An On-line Sales & Customer Ser...
£15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: One of the largest hospitality companies...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: As a result of significant cont...
£16575 - £19000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An excellent opportunity is ava...