The top ten: Signs with double meanings
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 27 April 2014
Mike Graham said, 'I refuse to go in here,' when he posted a picture of a door in New York with the sign, 'Refuse Room'. As Tom Freeman pointed out, 'That was the policy of the Bethlehem innkeeper.' Here are 10 more signs with unintended messages…
1. This door is alarmed Nominated by Keith Robinson.
2. Disabled toilet Whenever Andrew Denny sees it, he thinks, "Well, why doesn't someone fix it, then?"
3. 'Women' Sign on ladies' loo with alarming quotation marks.
4. Dogs must be carried Suggested by Michael Tidd.
5. We don't fly in our chickens. They're 100% British From Russell Smith.
6. Eggs buzz at gate Seen outside a farmhouse in Hadlow Down, East Sussex, by Tony Hall.
7. Slow Children Playing Nominated by David Artley.
8. Children: Please Drive Slowly From Citizen Sane.
9. Train drivers must not be disturbed One of Mike Graham's favourites, at London Bridge station.
10. If this lift is found to be out of order please use an alternative lift Manchester Piccadilly station. From Nick Thornsby. The second meaning being, "Get lost."
Next week: Footnotes.
Coming soon: Signs that most people think mean the opposite of what they mean. Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app
Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
Heroin to be prescribed to Canadian addicts by doctors
Audacious North Korean kidnap plot foiled at Paris airport as 'Asian men' attempted to bundle student onto plane
Tower Bridge glass walkway 'smashed' by night-time visitor dropping bottle of beer
Revealed: the case against Bill Cosby – through the stories of his accusers
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'
£30000 - £60000 per annum + Excellent: Austen Lloyd: Employment Solicitor - Ke...
Negotiable: Argyll Scott International: Hi All, I'm currently recruiting for t...
Highly Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: HAMPSHIRE MARKET TOWN - A highly attr...
£23000 - £30000 per annum + pension, 25days holiday: Ashdown Group: An industr...