The top ten: Signs with double meanings
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 27 April 2014
Mike Graham said, 'I refuse to go in here,' when he posted a picture of a door in New York with the sign, 'Refuse Room'. As Tom Freeman pointed out, 'That was the policy of the Bethlehem innkeeper.' Here are 10 more signs with unintended messages…
1. This door is alarmed Nominated by Keith Robinson.
2. Disabled toilet Whenever Andrew Denny sees it, he thinks, "Well, why doesn't someone fix it, then?"
3. 'Women' Sign on ladies' loo with alarming quotation marks.
4. Dogs must be carried Suggested by Michael Tidd.
5. We don't fly in our chickens. They're 100% British From Russell Smith.
6. Eggs buzz at gate Seen outside a farmhouse in Hadlow Down, East Sussex, by Tony Hall.
7. Slow Children Playing Nominated by David Artley.
8. Children: Please Drive Slowly From Citizen Sane.
9. Train drivers must not be disturbed One of Mike Graham's favourites, at London Bridge station.
10. If this lift is found to be out of order please use an alternative lift Manchester Piccadilly station. From Nick Thornsby. The second meaning being, "Get lost."
Next week: Footnotes.
Coming soon: Signs that most people think mean the opposite of what they mean. Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
- 2 36-year-old skeleton of dead baby found inside Indian woman
- 3 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 4 Homer Simpson has taken the ALS ice bucket challenge because of course he has
- 5 The 13 obscure UK laws you didn’t know you were breaking
Miley Cyrus' homeless MTV VMAs date, Jesse Helt, is wanted by the police
Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
The 13 obscure UK laws you didn’t know you were breaking
Teenager dies after suspected ice bucket challenge goes horribly wrong
Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Air strikes? Talk of God? Barack Obama is following the jihadists’ script after James Foley beheading
- < Previous
- Next >
Flexible for the right candidate: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: I have a fa...
£35000 - £36000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A market leading financia...
£250 - £350 per annum + competitive: Orgtel: My client, a leading bank, is cur...
£50 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN Teaching Assistant We are curr...