The top ten: Signs with double meanings
John Rentoul is chief political commentator for The Independent on Sunday, and visiting professor at Queen Mary, University of London, where he teaches contemporary history. Previously he was chief leader writer for The Independent. He has written a biography of Tony Blair, whom he admired more at the end of his time in office than he did at the beginning.
Sunday 27 April 2014
Mike Graham said, 'I refuse to go in here,' when he posted a picture of a door in New York with the sign, 'Refuse Room'. As Tom Freeman pointed out, 'That was the policy of the Bethlehem innkeeper.' Here are 10 more signs with unintended messages…
1. This door is alarmed Nominated by Keith Robinson.
2. Disabled toilet Whenever Andrew Denny sees it, he thinks, "Well, why doesn't someone fix it, then?"
3. 'Women' Sign on ladies' loo with alarming quotation marks.
4. Dogs must be carried Suggested by Michael Tidd.
5. We don't fly in our chickens. They're 100% British From Russell Smith.
6. Eggs buzz at gate Seen outside a farmhouse in Hadlow Down, East Sussex, by Tony Hall.
7. Slow Children Playing Nominated by David Artley.
8. Children: Please Drive Slowly From Citizen Sane.
9. Train drivers must not be disturbed One of Mike Graham's favourites, at London Bridge station.
10. If this lift is found to be out of order please use an alternative lift Manchester Piccadilly station. From Nick Thornsby. The second meaning being, "Get lost."
Next week: Footnotes.
Coming soon: Signs that most people think mean the opposite of what they mean. Send your suggestions, and ideas for future Top 10s, to email@example.com
- 1 2015 General Election: Green party will not appear in TV debate alongside Ukip – says BBC
- 3 Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
- 4 North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'
- 5 Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
Elizabeth Norment dead: House of Cards actress honoured by Kevin Spacey after she dies aged 61
Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
North Korean officials 'publicly executed for watching South Korean soap operas'
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
Nigel Farage and Frankie Boyle clash over Andrew Lawrence's 'Mock the Week' criticism
£18000 - £20400 per annum + Accommodation, Flights, Medical Cover: Randstad Ed...
£45 - £55 per day: Randstad Education Preston: We are looking for an experienc...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cambridge: Primary Teachers needed in King's Ly...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Cambridge: Primary Teacher needed in the Ely ar...