Warning on 'rave' drug after artist drowns

Click to follow
The Independent Online
(First Edition)

A CORONER yesterday warned of the danger of 'rave' parties after a talented young artist drowned, having taken drugs.

'Rave parties are a menace to the local people and to people who go to them,' Dr Harold Price said.

'Illegal drugs are readily available and the rhythmic music and flashing lights just add to the effect. Young people should be warned.'

The body of Christopher Hylton, 21, a cartoonist, of Oakley Road, Wix, Essex, was found in Bambury Reservoir, Chingford, north-east London on 13 May, 11 days after he disappeared from an all-night rave in Edmonton, north London.

Dr David Rouse, a pathologist, gave the cause of death at the inquest in Walthamstow, north-east London, as drowning, with poisoning by amphetamine, or speed, a secondary factor.

He said the level of speed found in Mr Hylton's body, almost three times the dose which has been known to be fatal, would have made him incapable of knowing what he was doing.

Dr Price said: 'Young people do not realise the dangers of speed and ecstasy and it is becoming more and more of a problem.'

Mr Hylton's girlfriend, 17-year-old Jessica Marquess, told the inquest that the two had become separated after leaving the warehouse party.

Dr Price recorded a verdict of accidental death. He said: 'Amphetamine was too much a potent factor.'

Comments