Women in high-rise flats risk miscarriage
Overall, 1 in 10 of the group had suffered miscarriages. However, 1 in 5 of those living on the fifth floor or above had experienced a miscarriage compared to just under 9 per cent on the second, third and fourth floors, and 6 per cent on the ground and first floors.
The report in New Scientist says lack of exercise and the stress of living in a small space may be responsible for the higher miscarriage rates of the upper floors.
Fumio Osaka, of Tokyo University, who conducted the research, said: 'Women who live higher up just don't go out so often because it is too much trouble. That leads to a lack of exercise and a build-up of stress.' Excessive smoking or drinking among the higher-floor dwellers was not to blame, he added.
Mr Osaka has extended the study to include 1,000 women living in tower blocks. Preliminary findings followed the same trend.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...
£16000 - £23000 per annum + OTE £23k - £45k: Connex Education: Connex Educatio...