British hostage feared killed in Nigeria
Foreign Office urges media not to speculate as it investigates claims by Ansaru terrorist group
Sunday 10 March 2013
The Foreign Office was last night investigating claims that a British citizen is among seven foreign hostages, including three Lebanese citizens, and one each from Greece, Italy and the Philippines, murdered by a terrorist group in Nigeria.
The report of the killings comes almost exactly a year after a failed rescue bid by British and Nigerian forces resulted in two hostages, one a Briton, being killed by their captors.
The Ministry of Defence refused to comment on claims by the Islamist group Ansaru – linked to the extremist organisation Boko Haram – that the murders were provoked by the arrival of British fighter jets in Nigeria amid rumours of a rescue mission.
Photographs of the dead hostages, who were kidnapped from Setraco, a Lebanese construction company in the northern state of Bauchi last month, are understood to have been posted on an Islamist website by the group.
In a statement, it claimed that sightings of British military planes in the region, and a message from the President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, that the government would do anything in its power to free the hostages, had triggered the decision.
"[We] announced the capture of seven Christian foreigners and warned that ... any attempt by force to rescue them will render their lives in danger," the statement said.
"The Nigerian and British government operation led to the death of all the seven Christian foreigners," it added.
Ansaru's full name is Jama'atu Ansarul Muslimina Fi Biladis Sudan, which roughly translates as "vanguards for the protection of Muslims in black Africa".
The Foreign Office stated yesterday: "We are aware of reports of the death of a British national in Nigeria and are urgently investigating". It asked "the media not to speculate at this extremely sensitive time".
Last night, Nigerian officials cast doubt on the claims by Ansaru. "As far as I'm concerned, and to the best of my knowledge, nothing like that has happened," said the Bauchi police commissioner, Mohammed Ladan.
According to news agencies, an intelligence official in the north also said he doubted the report, although he said some suspects linked to the kidnapping had been arrested last week. And Mohammed Abdullah, a spokesman for Setraco, also stated that he had heard nothing of any harm done to the hostages.
In what appeared to be a carefully planned attack, the workers had been taken during a raid on the company's compound in Jama'are, about 200 kilometres north of Bauchi, on 16 February. Gunmen first attacked a local prison, destroying police trucks, before they assaulted the compound during which a guard was killed.
The reported deaths of the hostages come a year after a bungled British-Nigerian rescue mission in Sokoto, in the north-west of Nigeria, saw two hostages, a Briton, Chris McManus, and an Italian, Franco Lamolinara, killed before special forces soldiers could get to them. Ansaru was linked to the kidnapping, which took place in May 2011.
Ansaru declared itself a splinter group independent from Boko Haram, Nigeria's main terrorist group, earlier this year, according to analysts. Boko Haram has so far been blamed for almost 800 killings last year alone.
- 1 Man who held up 'hire me' sign at Waterloo station returns a year later with 'I'm hiring' sign
- 5 This crazy skiing video will leave you feeling queasy
Paris attacks: Do not call Charlie Hebdo killers 'terrorists', BBC says
Rowan Atkinson to sell £10 million McLaren 'supercar' he crashed into a tree and a lamppost
UK weather: Snow to fall in the coming week with sub-zero temperatures to last until early February
Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
Warriors in ancient Iraq suffered Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder more than 3,000 years ago, say researchers
Nigel Farage: NHS might have to be replaced by private health insurance
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
George Galloway condemns 'racist, Islamophobic, hypocritical rag' Charlie Hebdo at freedom of speech rally
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Superb opportunity for a BUYING...
£14560 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers personalise...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A really exciting opportunity has arisen for a...
£22000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An established, family owned de...