Kenya attack: al-Shabaab militants kill 10 in second raid near Mpeketoni
The group has warned their operations in Kenya 'will continue'
Militants from al-Shabaab have claimed responsibility for a second attack on Kenya's coast that killed at least 10, just a day after an assault on the nearby town of Mpeketoni left almost 50 dead, officials and the fighters said on Tuesday.
Armed gunmen raided the village of Poromoko close to Mpeketoni overnight and set fire to houses, Deputy County Commissioner Benson Maisori said.
The attacks come a day after least 49 people were killed when gunmen sped into the small coastal town of Mpeketoni in two minibuses, and shot World Cup spectators in a hall, as well as attacking hotels, a bank, and the police station.
Sunday's assault was the worst by al-Shabaab since its gunmen stormed Nairobi's Westgate shopping mall in September in an attack that left 67 people dead.
The group claimed the attack was revenge for the presence of Kenyan forces in Somalia.
"We raided villages around Mpeketoni again last night," Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab, the spokesman for al Shabaab's military operations told the Reuters news agency. “Our operations in Kenya will continue."
After the Mpeketoni assault, the movement declared Kenya a "war zone", instructing tourists to leave the country or stay "at their own peril".
Several men were shot in the head in the town in execution-style killings, witnesses said.
Al-Shabaab said gunmen killed up to 20 people, and claimed several police officers had died in the latest wave of fighting.
A reporter for Kenya's Citizen Television said locals had complained the force had not sent in enough officers to protect them even after the initial assault on Mpeketoni, which lies on the coast between Kenya's main port Mombasa and the Somali border to the north.
Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku, who has defended his government's efforts to protect the nation, travelled to the area on Monday and was assigned by President Uhuru Kenyatta to take personal charge of the security operation.
The Red Cross had previously put the death toll for Mpeketoni assault at 50 but on Tuesday said the total figure was 49. That number did not include victims of the latest attack.
Additional reporting by Reuters
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 3 'Help me I'm trapped in a factory' messages keep being found on bottles of vitamin water
- 4 Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
- 5 BP hit with record $18.7 billion fine over Deepwater Horizon Gulf oil spill
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Amber Roof: Sister of Charleston shooting suspect Dylann Roof launches fund-raising appeal for wedding and honeymoon
Russell Brand condemns moment of silence for Tunisia attack victims as a 'minute of bulls**t'
Right to die: Belgian doctors rule depressed 24-year-old woman has right to end her life
Worker killed by robot at Volkswagen car factory
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
They are neither a 'state' nor 'Islamic': Why we shouldn't call them Isis, Isil or IS
£45000 - £55000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity is available to ...
£16000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This world leading specialist i...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This role's responsibility also include operat...
£27000 - £28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Their revenue and profit have g...