Libya fears 'new compensation bid' in Lockerbie investigation
Wednesday 18 April 2012
Libyan authorities fear compensation is the motive behind fresh investigations into the Lockerbie bombing, MPs were told today.
Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt said there were "apprehensions" in "some quarters" that hopes of re-opening existing settlements were fuelling inquiries.
He told the Commons foreign affairs committee the UK was continuing to "make the case" for Scottish police to have access to the state but there are concerns that must be "got over".
Mr Burt intends to revisit to Libya soon and insisted the "legacy issues" remained a "matter of high priority" for the UK.
They also include the case of WPc Fletcher, who was shot dead while policing a protest outside the Libyan embassy in London in 1984.
"There's some concern in some quarters, not in relation to WPc Fletcher but in relation to other cases that there is a matter of re-opening compensation and we are busy seeking to dissuade people that isn't the case."
Confirming he was talking about the Lockerbie bombing, Mr Burt added: "I don't believe there are institutional barriers to that but there are other apprehensions to get over.
"We continue to make the case that the Dumfries and Galloway police must have access and must be able to get on with that investigation."
He added: "There is an apprehension in some parts of the Libyan structure that this is about re-opening compensation that they believe was dealt with in the past where as we are keen to make the case supporting those who are conducting the investigation that it is about finding out the truth of the matter."
In February a formal submission was sent to the Libyan Government requesting access to the country for police and prosecutors who want to examine information and documents relating to lines of inquiry.
The Libyan National Transitional Council has previously confirmed to the UK Government that it will assist the ongoing criminal investigation.
A total of 270 people were killed when Pan Am Flight 103 exploded over Lockerbie on December 21 1988.
Abdelbaset al Megrahi is the only man to have been convicted of the atrocity and he was sentenced to life imprisonment in 2001 but it has been widely accepted that he did not act alone.
Mr Burt told the committee delays in investigators accessing the state in relation to WPc Fletcher's death were down to the "capacity" of the Libyan authorities.
The Metropolitan Police inquiry into her murder remains open and officers want to travel to Libya to continue their investigation.
Mr Burt said: "The most important thing in relation to WPc Fletcher is to get the Metropolitan police back as quickly as possible and we are still working on a date for this with the Libyan authorities.
"The capacity of the Libyan authorities at the moment is understandably limited because of the circumstances in which they are operating."
He added: "Their commitment has been genuine. They do know from us how important these issues are.
"We have commitment but they are not in a position to follow through yet."
- 1 Al Pacino on suffering from depression: 'It can last and it's terrifying'
- 2 Half of young women unable to ‘locate vagina’ and 65% find it difficult to say the word
- 3 Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
- 4 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- 5 Mexican woman becomes world’s 'oldest person' at 127
Perez Hilton apologises for publishing Jennifer Lawrence naked photo leak
Jennifer Lawrence 'nude photo hacker' claims there are hundreds more celebrity images to come
Victoria Justice on naked photo leak: 'Let me nip this in the bud right now – pun intended'
Saudis risk new Muslim division with proposal to move Mohamed’s tomb
Ariana Grande nude photos leak: Pictures are completely fake, say representatives
Rotherham child sex abuse scandal: Labour Home Office to be probed over what Tony Blair's government knew - and when
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Ashya King: Parents of five-year-old boy refused permission to visit him in hospital and denied bail at Spanish court
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
Ashya King: 'Cruel NHS has not given us the treatment we need', says father of five-year-old with brain tumour who fled to Spain
Negotiable: Randstad Education Sheffield: Primary PPA Teachers required for wo...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Maths teachers requir...
£35000 - £38000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Executive Assistant/Event...
£23760 - £33600 per annum + pre 12 week AWR : Randstad Education Manchester Se...