British forces have so far hit more than 900 targets in the campaign to protect Libyan civilians from the Gaddafi regime, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) disclosed today.
The latest strikes came during armed reconnaissance patrols yesterday against buildings in Bani Walid which had been used by Muammar Gaddafi's forces as a military vehicle depot.
At least 910 targets, including secret police headquarters and command bunkers, had been damaged or destroyed since operations began in March, the MoD said.
There have been continued claims that the mission has exposed the limits of British military resources in the wake of controversial defence cuts.
MoD spokesman Major General Nick Pope said the RAF had been patrolling areas where civilians remained "subject to the oppression of Colonel Gaddafi's remaining troops".
Tornado jets had destroyed three targets, making up the vehicle depot, using Paveway laser and GPS guided bombs.
"Since the start of military operations on March 19, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and Army Air Corps strikes have damaged or destroyed over 910 targets that were being used by Gaddafi's former regime to threaten the Libyan people, ranging from secret police headquarters and command bunkers to tanks, rocket launchers and armed trucks," he said.Reuse content