Brazil: Chevron 'was unprepared' for oil spill
Sunday 20 November 2011
Brazilian officials have blamed the oil company Chevron for being "completely unprepared" to deal with a recent oil spill that it believes has released 110,000 gallons of crude oil into the Atlantic.
Chevron is still working to plug the spill, which took place off the Brazilian coast.
Fabio Scliar, head of environmental affairs for the Brazilian police, said that Chevron workers at the site had admitted to being "completely unprepared to handle an emergency such as this".
Brazilian officials have also accused Chevron of drilling deeper than its licence allowed. The oil company, whose own estimate of the size of the spill is much lower than 110,000 gallons, has sent ships to assist with a clean-up operation.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
- 1 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained star's white boyfriend Brian Lucas confirms LAPD internally investigating 'racist' detainment
- 2 Isis release 'Flames of War' video warning Obama of attacks troops could face in Iraq
- 3 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 4 Say yes to 'no-poo': It's been three years since I stopped washing my hair
- 5 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time: 'That was the lowest I'd ever felt'
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for spe...
£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Science Teacher (mater...
£110 - £200 per day: Randstad Education Leeds: Secondary Maths Teacher for an ...
£22000 - £37000 per annum: Randstad Education Leeds: A West Yorkshire School i...