A student who died following a buttock enlarging operation vowed never to have cosmetic injections again because of the pain she experienced during her first procedure, her ex-boyfriend has revealed.
British resident Claudia Aderotimi, 20, suffered medical complications and collapsed after receiving the treatment in an American hotel room.
Former lover Paul Djimo revealed the aspiring dancer and model had undergone a similar surgery just months before her sudden death.
It came as police investigating the tragedy cleared one woman they were questioning and continued to hunt for another who is believed to have administered the fatal injections.
Speaking to The Sun, Mr Djimo, 20, said he was shocked when he learned Nigerian national Miss Aderotimi had returned to the US for her doomed appointment.
"After she had the injections last time, she told me she couldn't take the pain and wouldn't do it again. I never thought she would go back," said the semi-professional footballer, who was still in contact with his ex.
"When she first mentioned having surgery, I thought it was just a joke. We laughed about it and I never imagined it would end up being the cause of her death."
Police said Miss Aderotimi, of Hackney, East London, travelled to Philadelphia with three friends on Saturday, before the silicone injections were administered in her buttocks at the Hampton Inn on Monday.
After suffering chest pains and breathing problems she was rushed to hospital but was pronounced dead shortly after.
One friend had a similar cosmetic procedure but was not taken to hospital, according to police.
Officers investigating her death said the surgery, which is understood to have cost more than £1,000, was arranged over the internet.
Police Lieutenant John Walker said investigators have cleared a New Jersey woman who helped arrange the procedures, but was not in the hotel room when Miss Aderotimi and a friend received their injections.
She is now being considered as a witness in the case.
They are unsure if the woman who performed the procedure was licensed or unlicensed and have conducted several searches in an effort to find her.
Mr Djimo, of Tottenham, North London, revealed Miss Aderotimi was studying at Thames Valley University and also in a girl group called The Chocolatez.
They described themselves as "a multi-talented group of three African girls" whose talents include dancing, singing, modelling and acting.
"Claudia wanted to be a superstar. She had big dreams," added Mr Djimo.
"Her death is absolutely devastating."
Miss Aderotimi had her first silicone injections in November, but it is unknown if they were carried out illegally.
Mr Djimo added: "It sounded like it cost a lot so I assumed it was all done properly. She didn't need it. She was a pretty girl, anyone could see that.
"But she told me having the injections made her feel better about herself. Every girl has something they don't like about their looks and she mentioned her bum a few times.
"The industry she was trying to break into is competitive and dominated by US stars. And over there the size of your bum is extremely important."
A post-mortem examination was unable to establish Miss Aderotimi's cause of death and authorities are waiting for toxicology reports from the medical examiner before deciding what charges may be filed.
Liquid silicone is sought on the black market by women seeking to enhance their figures, even though it is not approved for cosmetic injections. It was not known what substance was used on the women at the hotel.
One of Britain's leading plastic surgeons, Dr Rajiv Grover, described the silicone injection procedure as "like playing Russian roulette. You get away with it sometimes but each time you have it done you're risking your life".
Shadow Public Health Minister Diane Abbott last night demanded tighter regulation of the cosmetic surgery industry following the tragedy.
"There are too many 'makeover' shows that imply plastic surgery is as simple as cutting your hair," said Ms Abbott, MP for Hackney North and Stoke Newington.
"In fact it is a potential life-threatening procedure which should not be embarked on at too young an age without proper medical counselling."Reuse content