Emails show State Department named militant group on night of Libya attack

 

Benghazi, Libya

Suggested Topics

About a half-hour after militants overran the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, last month, the State Department notified officials at the White House and elsewhere that the compound was "under attack" by about 20 armed assailants, emails obtained by The Washington Post on Wednesday show.

Two hours later, the State Department reported that the Libyan militia group Ansar al-Sharia had asserted responsibility on Facebook and Twitter, and had also called for an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli.

The brief, unclassified emails from the State Department Operations Center do not discuss the origin of the Sept. 11 attack or mention any protest or demonstration at the mission before the assault.

Republicans including presidential challenger Mitt Romney have questioned whether the White House falsely ascribed the attack that killed U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans to a protest rather than to a planned terrorist attack.

"Embassy Tripoli reports approximately 20 armed people fired shots; explosions have been heard as well," the center wrote at 4:05 p.m, or 10:05 p.m. Libyan time.

The State Department has previously said the assault began about 9:40 p.m. Libyan time.

"Ambassador Stevens, who is currently in Benghazi, and four [diplomatic] personnel are in the compound safe haven," the email from the command center in Washington said.

The reference to Ansar al-Sharia may fuel Republican efforts to show that the White House had evidence of terrorism almost immediately but sat on it. Five days after the attack, U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan E. Rice said the attack appeared to have grown out of a "spontaneous" protest over an anti-Muslim video.

The Obama administration has said it relied on intelligence assessments that were incomplete and that shifted over several days, and has categorically denied any effort to play down terrorism that could mar President Obama's security record.

"Posting something on Facebook is not in and of itself evidence of terrorist involvement," Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said when asked about the emails Wednesday. "I think it just underscores how fluid the reporting was at the time and continued for some time to be."

The day after the attack, Obama cast it generally as among "acts of terror" that would not sway U.S. resolve. It was several more days before any official fully called it terrorism, and some time after that before the White House said the attack was not the result of a protest in Benghazi.

Also Wednesday, the Tunisian government confirmed that it has detained a 28-year-old Tunisian reportedly linked to the attack in Benghazi.

Ali Harzi and another man were detained in Turkey shortly after the attack and were returned to Tunisia. The Associated Press quoted Tunisian Interior Ministry spokesman Tarrouch Khaled as saying Harzi's "case is in the hands of justice."

Earlier this month, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said the United States was looking into the arrests of the two Tunisian men, but it is not clear whether U.S. law enforcement officials have been able to question them.

Harzi is suspected of ties to extremist groups, including al-Qaeda's affiliate in North Africa.

U.S. intelligence officials said the assertion of responsibility by Ansar al-Sharia was part of a flurry of often conflicting signals that surfaced in the aftermath of the attack, and would have been viewed by analysts with skepticism.

The officials noted that the organization withdrew its assertion a day later and that militant groups frequently make unfounded claims about attacks.

A statement released by a U.S. intelligence official on Friday said that "a key question early on was whether extremists took over a crowd or if the guys who showed up were all militants. It took time — until that next week — to sort through varied and sometimes conflicting accounts to understand the group's overall composition."

The emails released Wednesday were sent to the White House Situation Room and to officials in intelligence and law enforcement, said a government source who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the emails are sensitive.

Portions of email addresses that would identify individual recipients were redacted from copies originally reported on by Reuters and later obtained by The Post.

At 4:54 p.m., or 10:54 p.m. in Libya, the Operations Center advised that the firing had stopped "and the compound has been cleared."

A State Department timeline provided to reporters earlier said that the street outside the compound was quiet until gunfire and an explosion were heard at 9:40 p.m. and that the compound was quickly overrun by a large armed crowd that set fire to the villa where Stevens was hiding in a fortified inner room.

Stevens apparently died of smoke inhalation inside the villa. Information officer Sean Smith also died in the villa. Two security employees died when a second U.S. government compound was attacked a short distance away.

Clinton suggested Wednesday that the emails do not tell the whole story. An independent investigation "is already hard at work looking at everything — not cherry-picking one story here or one document there," she said.

- - -

Washington Post staff writers Greg Miller and Julie Tate contributed to this report.

Independent Comment
blog comments powered by Disqus
Top stories
News in pictures
World news in pictures
UK news in pictures
UK news in pictures
More stories
       
Independent
Travel Shop
Lake Como and the Bernina Express
Seven nights half-board from only £749pp Find out more
California and the golden west
14 nights from only £1,599pp Find out more
Paris and the Cote d’Azur
Seven nights from only £579pp Find out more
Independent Dating
and  

By clicking 'Search' you
are agreeing to our
Terms of Use.

iJobs Job Widget
iJobs General

Market Research Telephone Interviewer

£8 per hour plus excellent benefits: The Research House Limited: Part Time Tel...

Year 1 Teacher

£90 - £160 per day: Randstad Education Group: A Primary School in Bradford are...

Commercial Lawyer – Renewable Energy

£28000 - £32000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Commercia...

Solar PV - Sales South

£30000 Per Annum Bonus + Car: The Green Recruitment Company: Job Title: Solar ...

Day In a Page

Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase

Special report: How my father's face turned up in Robert Capa's lost suitcase

The great war photographer was not one person but two. Their pictures of Spain's civil war, lost for decades, tell a heroic tale
The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history

The unmade speech: An alternative draft of history

Someone, somewhere has to write speeches for world leaders to deliver in the event of disaster. They offer a chilling hint at what could have been
Funny business: Meet the women running comedy

Funny business: Meet the women running comedy

Think comedy’s a man's world? You must be stuck in the 1980s, says Holly Williams
Wilko Johnson: 'You have to live for the minute you're in'

Wilko Johnson: 'You have to live for the minute you're in'

The Dr Feelgood guitarist talks frankly about his terminal illness
Lure of the jingle: Entrepreneurs are giving vintage ice-cream vans a new lease of life

Lure of the jingle

Entrepreneurs are giving vintage ice-cream vans a new lease of life
Who stole the people's own culture?

DJ Taylor: Who stole the people's own culture?

True popular art drives up from the streets, but the commercial world wastes no time in cashing in
Guest List: The IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday

Guest List: IoS Literary Editor suggests some books for your summer holiday

Before you stuff your luggage with this year's Man Booker longlist titles, the case for some varied poolside reading alternatives
What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?

Rupert Cornwell: What if Edward Snowden had stayed to fight his corner?

The CIA whistleblower struck a blow for us all, but his 1970s predecessor showed how to win
'A man walks into a bar': Comedian Seann Walsh on the dangers of mixing alcohol and stand-up

Comedian Seann Walsh on alcohol and stand-up

Comedy and booze go together, says Walsh. The trouble is stopping at just the one. So when do the hangovers stop being funny?
From Edinburgh to Hollywood (via the Home Counties): 10 comedic talents blowing up big

Edinburgh to Hollywood: 10 comedic talents blowing up big

Hugh Montgomery profiles the faces to watch, from the sitcom star to the surrealist
'Hello. I have cancer': When comedian Tig Notaro discovered she had a tumour she decided the show must go on

Comedian Tig Notaro: 'Hello. I have cancer'

When Notaro discovered she had a tumour she decided the show must go on
They think it's all ova: Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes

Bill Granger's Asia-influenced egg recipes

Our chef made his name cooking eggs, but he’s never stopped looking for new ways to serve them
The world wakes up to golf's female big hitters

The world wakes up to golf's female big hitters

With its own Tiger Woods - South Korea's Inbee Park - the women's game has a growing audience
10 athletes ready to take the world by storm in Moscow next week

10 athletes ready to take the world by storm in Moscow next week

Here are the potential stars of the World Championships which begin on Saturday
The Last Word: Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale's art of manipulation

The Last Word: Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale's art of manipulation

Briefings are off the record leading to transfer speculation which is merely a means to an end