Former leader to head regional bloc
Wednesday 05 May 2010
Former Argentine President, Nestor Kirchner, has been named as the first secretary general of a new union of 12 South American nations.
The Unasur bloc was formed nearly two years ago to act as a counterpoint to regional organisations dominated by the United States.
Member states, which include Chile, Paraguay and Venezuela, hope the bloc can consolidate into a regional force for unity, development and democracy-building. Unasur's headquarters near Ecuador's capital, and a parliament building planned for Cochabamba, Bolivia, remain on the drawing-board. According to Unasur's founding treaty, the secretary general must focus solely on regional matters during his two-year term. That may be problematic for Mr Kirchner, a leader of his political party who has all but declared himself to be a candidate to succeed his wife, Cristina Fernandez, in Argentina's presidential elections next year. He will also have to give up his job as a deputy in Argentina's Congress.
Some of the main issues on the Unasur agenda include a declaration about democracy in Honduras, help for earthquake victims in Haiti and Chile, and a condemnation of Arizona's immigration law as a violation of human rights.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Arsenal 1 Everton 1: Substitute equalises with six minutes to go
booksGeese, gorillas, grandads... and growing up
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- 5 Japan cracks down on leaks after scandal of Fukushima nuclear power plant
- < Previous
- Next >
£80000 - £100000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ De...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...
£23999 - £32001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: An independent ac...