From the 107th floor, Ivhan called to say 'don't worry'

The Missing
Click to follow

For Ivhan Carpio, last Tuesday was to be a celebration of his place in the great American enterprise – he was working on the 107th floor of the World Trade Centre and it was his 24th birthday. Within 30 minutes of arriving for his shift, the Peruvian waiter found himself trapped in the "Windows of the World" restaurant after an aircraft crashed into one of Manhattan's twin towers.

Like hundreds of others caught up in the unfolding catastrophe, his first thought was to phone relatives to reassure them – in his case an aunt who lived near by.

He said: "Auntie, don't worry. We're waiting for someone to come rescue us." Ivhan has not been heard of since.

As the number of bodies retrieved from the ruins of the Trade Centre last night stood at 190, with a further 4,957 people from 39 countries still missing, this was the latest story to emerge from the list of victims.

The grim roll call ranged from a police officer involved in a desperate attempt to evacuate the twin towers to a firefighter on reduced duties because of an injury who rushed to the scene.

The list of 39 people killed in the Trade Centre, released by the New York medical examiner, featured employees from financial services group Cantor Fitzgerald, which occupied four floors near the top of the first of the twin towers to be hit. The wife of Jack D'Ambrosi, 45, a father of two young daughters who lived in New Jersey and worked for the company, told The New York Times: "I felt him kiss me goodbye on Tuesday morning and that was the last of it." Another employee of Cantor Fitzgerald, 600 of whose 1,000 employees are missing, was Keith McHeffey, 31, whose father also worked in the building for another firm but had taken a day off.

Also named was Dominick Pezzulo, a 36-year-old New York Port Authority policeman, who was crushed while helping to rescue two colleagues who managed to survive the collapse of the towers. He was entombed in the same rubble that claimed Raymond York, who had served for 20 years with the New York Fire Department but had been restricted to light duties because of a shoulder injury.

The firefighter learnt of the unfolding disaster while at the nearby Rockefeller Centre in central Manhattan and hitched a lift with a fire truck and then an ambulance to reach the scene.

The round-the-clock search for survivors yesterday continued to return only a grim catalogue of body parts and mutilated corpses.

The remains of Andrew Stern, a Cantor Fitzgerald broker working on the 104th floor who had two children, were found over the weekend.