Heavy security at Steve Jobs memorial service
Monday 17 October 2011
Members of Silicon Valley's elite gathered in California today amid heavy security at a private memorial service for Apple co-founder Steve Jobs.
It was unclear when the event at Stanford University started or how many attended, but reporters saw dozens of people walking from a church to another down a tree-lined pavement.
Apple spokesman Todd Wilder said it was a private event and he could not release details. Stanford declined to comment.
Earlier, guards directed reporters to a car park several hundred yards away from Stanford's Memorial Church where the service was held.
Additional staff behind steel barricades allowed only a smattering of vehicles to enter the area.
Mr Jobs, the mastermind behind popular gadgets such as the iPhone and iPad, died on October 5 at 56, after battling pancreatic cancer for years.
- 1 Rules on 5p plastic bags likely to lead to arguments at the check-out
- 2 Hulk Hogan wants to be Donald Trump's running mate in the US Presidential election
- 3 Blood Moon and Supermoon: September to bring brightest – and dimmest – full Moon of the year on same night
- 4 News agency criticised for describing Amal Clooney as 'actor's wife' in coverage of human rights trial
- 5 David De Gea to Real Madrid: Real finally get their man with £29m bid for Manchester United goalkeeper
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
'Women only' train carriages: Jeremy Corbyn unveils radical move to tackle public harassment
Black holes are a passage to another universe, says Stephen Hawking
Tony Blair attacks Jeremy Corbyn's 'Alice In Wonderland' politics
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
Iain Duncan Smith 'should resign over disability benefit death figures', says Jeremy Corbyn
£28000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£22000 - £29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company's mission is to ma...
£13832 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This 5 star leisure destination on the w...
£20000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Sales Account Manager is requ...