‘Imposter’ wins rape appeal as victim was unmarried
A California appeals court has overturned the rape conviction of a man who had sex with a sleeping woman on the basis of legislation dating to 1872, which says only married women are protected from rape by “imposters”.
At a house party in Cerrito in northern California in 2009, the 18-year-old woman went to bed with her boyfriend, who later left her asleep.
Julio Morales, a friend of the woman’s brother, entered the room and began to have sex with her. Only when light from the open bedroom door fell across his face did she realise he was not her boyfriend, at which point, the court documents record, “she pushed him away again and began to cry and yell”.
Morales was convicted of rape and sentenced to three years in prison. However, a three-judge panel “reluctantly” reversed the decision because, under California law, the impersonation ruling only applies if the victim is a married woman.
In their judgment, the appeals panel said its ruling hinged on “historical anomalies in the law” and “...if the woman had been married and the man had impersonated her husband” then the previous ruling would have been upheld. A new trial has been ordered.
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
Police examine photographs of Charles Saatchi with hand on Nigella Lawson's throat
Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
- 1 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 2 Charles Saatchi accepts caution for assault over incident in Scott’s restaurant when he put his hands on throat of wife Nigella Lawson
- 3 Anatomy of a waiter: Service staff spill the secrets of their trade
- 4 Exclusive: Cristiano Ronaldo advised to stay at Real Madrid for another 18 months before making possible switch to Manchester United
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
£32000 - £33000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
Excellent Salary Package: Austen Lloyd: We have an outstanding opportunity for...
Negotiable: Capita Education Resourcing Permanent Team: Room Leader NVQ Level ...