Man jailed for Obama death plot
Saturday 14 July 2012
A man from Uzbekistan was sentenced to more than 15 years in a US prison for plotting to kill President Barack Obama.
Ulugbek Kodirov had faced up to 30 years in prison.
Kodirov pleaded guilty in February to plotting to shoot Mr Obama as he campaigned for re-election.
Kodirov said he came up with the plan after communicating online with a man he believed to be a member of an Uzbek Islamic group.
Authorities in Birmingham, Alabama said Kodirov tried to buy a weapon, and the potential seller became a government informant.
His defence lawyer argued that the 22-year-old Kodirov has accepted responsibility for his actions and is trying to straighten out his life.
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
£600 - £750 per day: Orgtel: FATCA Project Manager - Banking - London - £600-...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're an ambi...
£43000 - £50000 per annum + £5K Car Allowance + Bens : May & Stephens Recrui...
£18000 - £22000 per annum + Bens : May & Stephens Recruitment Group: If you're...