Rembrandt drawing stolen from hotel
Tuesday 16 August 2011
A drawing by Rembrandt, valued at $250,000 (£152,000) has been stolen from a hotel in California.
The pen-and-ink drawing, called The Judgment, was snatched on Saturday while a curator was distracted by a guest at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in Marina del Rey.
"When the curator turned back to the Rembrandt, it was gone," Steve Whitmore, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's spokesman, said. He described it as being "a well-thought-out, well-executed theft".
Investigators were studying surveillance video from the hotel and officials asked anyone who spotted anything suspicious to contact the sheriff's department. "The Ritz-Carlton has some of the best hotel security in the nation," Mr Whitmore said. "We're confident that our leads and the surveillance video will help us solve this."
The drawing was part of an exhibit at the hotel. AP
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
salary equal to £40K pro-rata: Sauce Recruitment: Are you available to start a...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Creative Front-End Developer - Claph...
£18000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The role in this successful eco...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Ashdown Group: QA Tester - London - £30,000 QA Tes...